Saturday 20 April 2013

The Prom Series: Finding the Perfect Dress

Its coming to that time of year when GCSE exams are about to begin (13th May) and soon it will be time for prom! As there is so much to talk about, this will certainly be an unusually long post!

My prom is in June and so I am already thinking about nail colour, hair and tan appointments and how I'm going to have my makeup. I already have my dress, although there are a few that I still want to try on and look at until I make the final decision.

Some people don't really know what they want or what they like and so I thought I would start a new series on how to get ready and organised for prom and offer advice and inspiration.

Todays Prom Series post is about choosing your dress...

I think I should also say 'Dare to be Different' you may not be the dress type of girl. There are so many other options you could go for. These could be trouser suits or skirts and tops. This series aims at people shopping for dresses, but can be applied to whatever prom outfit your looking for!

First off, you need to shop around! Don't walk into a shop try on one or two and feel that you have to buy that dress, because you don't! You don't want to buy your dress and see another one that you wished you had brought.

Secondly, try to have an idea in your mind about what your looking for. Think about what colours would compliment your skin tone and hair colour, consider your body shape and what would compliment that. You also need to think about the style - backless, strapless, fishtail, long, short, puffy, straight down etc.

Once you have a first idea on what your looking for, you have somewhere to begin. Although I suggest you go with an idea in your mind make sure your open to ideas and trying dresses on that you wouldn't think of. I lost count on the number of dresses I tried and some I would never have chosen unless the assistant hadn't told me to try them!

Also make sure that try the dresses on! This seems so obvious but unless you try them on you can see the fit. What might look good on the hanger might not suit you or it might look dull and boring and then amazing on! Give everything a go and the old cliche 'don't judge a book by its cover' comes to mind!

I also recommend that you consider and set yourself a budget. This could be an overall budget taking into account hair, makeup, bag, shoes etc or a single budget just for your dress. Mine was around the £200 mark because I can't see myself ever wearing my dress again and so therefore I didn't want to spend too much. This also means I have more to spend on the additional items that I have already mentioned.

Although I say to think of a budget, this is your prom and sometimes its nice to walk into a shop and try on dresses whatever the cost for the fun of it!

I live in a really good place for prom dress shopping. In my two local towns, there are a good few bridal shops and prom dress shops but also in the bigger towns there are great department stores.

I really recommend House of Fraser. My nearest store is Guildford and I went there with my mum for a day of prom dress shopping (believe me a day is no where near enough time so don't leave it until the last minute). 

To try on my dresses I walked around the concessions and looked at anything that took my fancy. Coast is a really good place to start, although quite a few people look there so make sure you know what other people are getting! 

I tried on at least twenty dresses from BCBG by Max Mara. These were amazing dresses and great quality as you would expect from a designer. The only down side is that they are quite costly and won't fit into all budgets.

I tried on these amazing shoes that I couldn't resist showing you all!



BCBG by Max Mara Runway Hex Colour Blocked Sandal

The final piece of advice that I have got is to consider what underwear you will need to wear with your dress and make sure you don't leave this until the last minute! It may seem really strange to have to consider this as usually we only worry about wearing matching underwear but there is more to consider than you think. 

Thats the end of The Prom Series part one, make sure you keep up to date with part two by following me on Twitter @JessieRObsessed and also check out my Prom board on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment