Friday 5 April 2013

Fake Tan Holiday Routine

As I keep mentioning because I can't wait, I am going on holiday at the weekend!

I am going to the Algarve in Portugal and its somewhere we go once or twice every year and I have been going since I was born so it feels like home.

The weather out there at the moment is the hight of summer, but its near 24 degrees everyday, so a lot warmer than it is in the UK at the moment which will be lovely to get out of jumpers and into some more summery clothes!

Because its not going to be sizzling hot and therefore I won't be spending too much time lying around the pool (I will however be spending LOTS of time in the spa) I decided not to get a spray tan and just fake tan myself.

As I am a red head, my skin is pale but not white, I have to be careful not to choose a tan that is too dark or orange. That said I have been prone to a few fake tan disasters before!

However, I believe in carrying out a vigorous body cleanse before applying fake tan and sticking to the motto less is more.

First, you can expect to find me in a nice hot bath filled with Lush goodies such as The Godmother bubble bar and a White Company candle. Then I will do all the necessary preening using an indulgent shower gel. My current favourite is The Little Bubble Co.'s Vanilla Biscuit shower gel which smells heavenly.

I like to use a body buff to get rid of any dead skin cells, paying particular attention to my elbows and knees as these can be problem areas where fake tan tends to clog and develop patchy.

After that I might use a body scrub from Soap and Glory just to make sure I'm fully buffed and scrubbed and because I love the smell!

Once I have finished in the bath, I will dry myself and apply a body moisturiser maybe by Soap and Glory or Clarins if I am using a tan oil, mist or mousse. Before applying your fake tan you will need to make sure that your moisturiser has sunk in.

If I'm using a fake tan that is a gradual tan, I won't apply a moisturiser because that is basically what the tan is, just with a tan added to it. The gradual tans that I like to use are the St Tropez gradual tan which is what I am currently using, or a Garnier Summer Body gradual tan.



I like using a tan mitt because I find it gives an even coverage and makes me less nervous of getting orange palms - not a good look on anyone.

I will start my tan routine a few days before I go on holiday so that I can see if there are any patches of tan or places I have missed - this gives me time to scrub at it or apply a bit more to areas that need it and don't give me any nasty surprises on holiday! Also you can develop your tan to get a colour you want.

That is basically my routine, although I obviously don't buff before every application, just before the first!

Here are my top tips to applying your tan:

1. Get someone to help with your back so that you don't get any patches

2. Make sure you scrub off any 'old' tan before applying a new lot - work on a    clean body! 

3. Make sure you don't get straight into bed as soon as you have applied your tan - air dry a bit first and sleep in short pyjamas too!

4. Wash your hands after with soap even if you have used a mitt - don't risk orange palms!

5. Wash your body the morning after to get rid of any tell tale smell

6. Try to apply one coat at a time, if you apply coat after coat you will turn orange and the tan will start to 'peel' rather than dry

7. Wear baggy clothes or pyjamas so that it doesn't ruin your tan while your drying and only get dressed once your touch dry

8. Applying a tan optimiser after to really bring out the bronzed glow

9. Remember to moisturise whilst on holiday to keep your skin looking healthy and glowing - it will also make a natural tan last longer

10. Don't forget to wear a sun lotion, oil, mist etc. when in the sun - sun burnt skin is not comfortable or a good look!

No comments:

Post a Comment