Thursday 2 May 2013

The Prom Series: Hair

After posting a lot about the prom series, I feel that it would be best to continue to post about prom in the run up to my prom (and hopefully yours). This way it means that it will all be in one place and in one go (kind of) and so people won't have to keep looking too far back and struggle to find the posts in this series.

With that said, today I am going to talk about choosing what kind of hair style you may want for prom.

To begin with, I suggest that you look in hairstyle magazines and magazines in general to gather ideas and inspiration. I want to talk in more depth about what magazines I read, but in your usual fashion and beauty mags such as Glamour and Elle there are beauty sections which have articles all about hair trends, colours and styles. Also the internet is a great place to get ideas. Google your favourite celebrity 'red carpet looks' and use their hairstyles as inspiration. Tumblr, Pinterest and We Heart It are also great places to look! I have created a Prom board on my Pinterest regarding everything to do with prom so make sure to check it out!

Gathering ideas should be done if you are doing your hair yourself or if your going to a salon to have your hair done. I am going to my local hair salon and having my hair done professionally, but doing it yourself can be just as good!

Make sure you know what works for your face shape, dress, makeup ideas etc. Secondly, see what you have to work with - how long/short is your hair, what is it like naturally curly, wavy, straight, do you want it up or down. 

Next you need to think about what you will need to have/use in order to create the look you want - hair straighteners, curling irons, bobby pins, slides/grips, hair ties, bun nets, gel, hairspray, mousse etc.

The last few things that I mentioned - gel, spray and mousse - you will want to consider so that you know how your going to set your look and how your going to create volume and texture.

Unlike in my makeup guide post I said how to create the basic look with some steps, I am not going to give you a step by step guide in how to create looks. I will however add some photos of what I like and think is a good idea for prom hair.

My Inspiration:




My top tips if your doing your hair yourself:

Practice, practice, practice - you don't want to have a panic on the day!
Make sure you have everything you need
Lay everything out so you can see/use it all properly

Top tips if your going to a salon:

Voice what you want - make sure your stylist knows what your going for
Plan your trial three weeks before the date so you have time to change anything
Make your appointment at a suitable time so that your hair doesn't fall flat, curls fall out etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment