Tuesday 12 March 2013

Dip Dye Routine

I have dyed my hair in the past using wash in wash out dyes and also by going to a salon. Because I have ginger hair, it apparently makes it harder to dye. My colourist said that red hair doesn't take the colour as well as say blonde or brunette hair does. This means that you may have to colour your hair numerous times before you see a big difference in colour if you have red hair.

One of the latest hair trends is dip dye. This is something that I wanted to try and so I decided to get the L'Oreal Preference Wild Ombres dip dye kit. I use Number 3 for blonde to dark blonde hair (there are three different coloured kits!).


(make sure you brush your hair through well before you start!)

The kit is really easy to use and comes with everything you need and step by step instructions on how to prepare the dye and then apply it. Due to the dye containing ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, its best to apply it in a well ventilated area, such as a bathroom where you can open the windows because it doesn't smell very nice!


The kit

I have used the kit three times. The first time I followed the instructions step by step - using the applicator brush to apply it and leaving it on for the maximum but not over the time period stated which is between 25 - 45 minutes depending on the desired colour.

After applying the colour, leaving it, washing the dye out and drying my hair, I could see a noticeable difference in the colour of my hair but not the change that I was hoping for. I reapplied the dye soon after the first time I dyed it to give a 'boost' to the colour.

On the second application, I used my hands to spread the dye through (wearing the gloves that you're supplied in the kit!) and left the colour on for longer - probably an hour. When I rinsed my hair and dried it, I was really pleased with the results and it was how I wanted it to look!


Mixing the colour

The third application I did was on Saturday and that was because I felt the colour had faded and so I wanted to give it another boost. I was pleased because it hand't needed to be redone for a good four months.

The only issues I have with this product, which is something I found with all the dyes I have tried, is that it makes the ends of my (heat damaged) hair extremely dry and quite frankly, disgusting. This means I do have to deep condition my hair to restore it.

As I mentioned, the dye stinks and although you are supplied with a colour protect shampoo to wash the dye out with, I have washed my hair twice after dying it to get rid of the smell left on my hair.

Because this kit is only intended for dip dying purposes, you do not need to do a patch test as with most home and salon dye kits because in theory the dye shouldn't touch your skin/scalp. However, I am slightly wary with dye because my family has a history of alopecia and so I was careful not to get it too close to my scalp.

I am really pleased with the results and I am sure that there is a kit for everyone due to the fact that the longer/shorter the time you leave it on for the more/less intense the colour.


The end result

You may have also seen my OOTD post which showed quite well my recent dip dye!

No comments:

Post a Comment